Profile of the Department
A brief profile
The Department has a two-fold aim: a/to provide Quality Teaching and Initial Training and preparation for its students, b/ to promote Educational Research and pedagogic applications
The following are in accordance with the Annual Report of the Department's Research Activities and the Final Report of the Internal Evaluation Programme of the year 2009, publiced on the Department webpage http://edc.uoc.gr /ptpe. The Department is second in the list for External Evaluation and Rating (by the EU officers).
1. Conferences and Symposia: 30 [by the end of 2010]
2. Research programmes financed either by the University Research Committee, the Ministry of Education or the EU: 4 [already completed], 3 [in progress], and 5 [waiting for final funding approval]
3. Research Laboratories: the Department holds and runs successfully 4 Research Laboratories: a/ Pedagogical-Educational Research and Applications, b/ Research in Psychology, c/ Research on Drama and Artistic/Aesthetics Education, d/ Music and Psycho-kinetics Education
4. Cooperation with other Universities: The Department cooperates on Research with several universities in the following countries: UK, Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Malta, Spain, Poland, Lithuania, Finland, Canada, the USA and Cyprus. In addition, the 30 [at the moment] Department teaching staff also lecture in most of the above mentioned universities, at least once an academic year.
5. The Department also houses and runs successfully the "In-service Preschool Teachers Training Centre". The Centre specializes in a/ General Education Preschool Curricula and Praxis, b/ Education for Special Needs young children, with emphasis on Early Intervention Programmes
Information on the Department's operational capacity
1. HUMAN RESOURCES - TEACHING AND RESEARCH STAFF
•1.1. Academic and Research staff (Academic staff are obliged by the law to conduct research in parallel with their teaching duties)
•1.1.1. Academic Staff: 3 full professors, 2 associate Professors, 9 Assistant Professors, 11 Lecturers
•1.1.2. 3 Fellow Teaching staff [under one-year contract]
1.2. Ancillary Staff
1.2.1. 6 Laboratory staff
1.2.2. 3 secretariat staff
2. TECHNOLOGICAL RESOURCES
2.1. All labs, libraries and offices are equipped with computers and their peripherals. Classrooms, labs and amphitheatres are equipped with video-projectors, etc., screens, boards and chart boards for teaching purposes.
2.2. The Department has also the necessary equipment for tele-conferences.
2.3. There are two specified libraries within the Department plus the very rich University Library, which is housed within the Gallos University Campus.
2.4. For the purpose and the content of the labs, please refer to the entry "Laboratories"